The Evergreen State College
Evergreen Records Policies & Procedures
Approved Records Schedules:
You may use the State General Retention Schedules to obtain the Records Disposition Authority Number by matching the description
to the records series you are scheduling. If you are scheduling a series
that is unique to your office (not included in the General Retention
Schedules), then use the TESC schedule to determin the Disposition Authority Number (DAN) assigned to the records you are transferring. Contact
the Records Manager to get your unique schedules updated or added to the Current TESC Records Schedules.
authority numbers (DAN) from other State and local sources cannot be used for TESC records
but the titles and descriptions can, as can the retention periods, to develop a DAN request for similar series. Note that all revisions to TESC schedules must be approved by the Washington
State Records Committee before they can be used.
Inventory: Non-Current Records Held in the College Records Center
Instructions for Records Transfer to the Records Center
Use Washington State Archives cubic foot boxes - these are
available new from the bookstore and used from the Records Center
- Place specific records series in one or more boxes, depending on their volume.
If a box is unfilled, series with the same retention period and destruction
date may be placed within one box.
- Fill out the Records Transmittal Form (see FORMS below)
- Date Prepared, Office of Record, Transmitted by - These
are self evident - they are to identify the Provenance (office
of origin) of the records being transferred.
- Record Officer Approval, Date Received, Archival - These spaces
are filled out by the Records Center Staff along with "c" Records
- In most cases, the records transferred to the Records Center
will not be Archival. This designation is restricted to only those
records series with perpetual administrative, legal or historical
importance and interest. These decisions are often reflected in the
Records Retention Schedules which are approved by the College Archivist
and the State Records Committee. All other records will be destroyed
based on their retention schedule.
- Record Location: will be provided by the Records Center when
the form is posted to the web page.
- Box #: Each functional area will create their own number for each box as follows:
- Box Identification and Numbering System:
Each box will be identified by the title of
the office of origin (i.e., Student Accounts, Cashiers, Counseling Center )
- Following the Office of Origin, each
box will have a number consisting of the current year
that it is entering the Records Center followed by
a two digit number in sequence beginning with 01 (use
a leading zero prior to single digit numbers to allow
the computer to properly sort the box numbers).Example:
- USE AVERY 5168 Labels
or equivalent to print from the template (see forms)- available
at The Evergreen State College Bookstore or office
supply stores in the area
- Records Series Title: Be sure to provide a description for the
records series that will enable yourself and others from your office to
access the files placed in an individual box. This should be the same as the title on the Records Schedules.
- Use description from the Records Retention Schedules - either the Washington State General Retention Schedule (preferred
whenever possible) or the TESC schedule specific to your office.
- If the description in the TESC Records Schedules is not adequate
or needs expansion for clarity, submit a new description using the Records Activity Notice form (see FORMS) to the Records
- If necessary, supplemental detail can be added to the description
supplied from the Records Retention Schedule without submitting
a new description as long as the general description remains applicable
- Inclusive Dates: Include the earliest and last dates that the
boxed papers represent. The last date is the basis on which the destruction
date is calculated by adding the retention period.
- Destruction Year: Add the retention period to the last date in
the Inclusive Dates column for each box.
- If all boxes listed on the sheet are the same, indicating
the date only once in the column is permitted
- Retention Period: Take this number from the Retention Schedules
- Disposition Authority: Use the number from the Retention Schedules
that is opposite the description of the records series being boxed
- Contact Records Management (firstname.lastname@example.org OR
phone 6126) to have your completed boxes picked up.